 Robotics / Handy Board / 1886
Re: Redfox racer photovore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:26:41 GMT

"m" == mlea  <mlea@smartrisk.ca> writes:

m> Hi all

m> I got it in my mind to build the M.I.T. photovore that is pictured
m> on page 35 of "Mobile Robots". I have been able to track down the
m> October 1988 issue of Omni magazine which contains the
m> article/schematic on building the photovore from the local
m> reference library. The photovore uses a remote car as a base,
m> called "Red Fox Racer". This is my present dilemma, how can I get
m> my hands on a red fox racer base? Kay Bee toys has six sitting in
m> their Columbus, Ohio warehouse. But they can't sell directly to
m> public. The interesting feature of the red fox racer drive train
m> was that it came equipped with separate drive motors for left and
m> right wheels, which meant it could be fairly easily adapted for
m> the locomotion system for a mobile robot. Would you be able to
m> recommend another source for the red fox racer or a suitable
m> replacement?

I built one of the photovore's from a red fox racer in 1988 from the
article.  They are impressive, but I would recommend using a different
chassis if you want it to work longer than a year or so.

The pinion gears (the one on the motor) split about a year after I got
it.  Everything was working fine, but the motors would just spin, and
the car wouldn't go.  I was able to glue them to make them last a
little longer, but eventually even this didn't work.

Actually I was trying to emulate the analog circuitry digitally a
couple years ago, but never found a suitable chassis.