 Robotics / Handy Board / 1875
Re: analog header
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 01:32:44 GMT

Adam wrote:
BUT when I hook this up to the HB the
sensitivity is lost because I then have to deal with a 47K
pullup on the analog ports.

This is known as an 'impedence mismatch'. Basically your NPN
amplifier is incapable of driving the analog input low (which
in itself seems a bit weird since you only need to sink .1 mA
to do that which suggests that perhaps there is feedback in your
output circuit such that the voltage level of the A/D input pin
is interfereing with your amplifier) HOWEVER, a simple way to
rectify this (read a hack) is to use an op-amp in a voltage
follower mode (connect your signal to the '+' input, connect
the output of the op-amp to the A/D input and back to itself
on the minus input. The output of the op amp will follow the
input from your circuit and your circuit will believe its
connected to air (op amps have a very high input impedence)
Use an Opamp that works well on a single supply like a 301 or
something (_don't use a 741_)

--Chuck
--
cmcmanis@netcom.com              http://www.professionals.com/~cmcmanis
All opinions in the non-included text above are the sole opinions of