 Robotics / Handy Board / 184
Re: Motor control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 17:55:00 GMT

I like 0 to 8 better.

Also is there any way to control the frequency at which the PWM works?

I find that some of my motors deliver too much at step 1.

How about if there was something like:

motor( motornum, cycles_on, total_cyles);

if you feed total_cycles=8, you would have the same as the current (I
suppose), but you could control the power more smoothly by feeding different
frequencies.

thx.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - REPLY FROM: Barthelet, Luc
To: MAR ERICSON <mar@cooper.edu>
Cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Motor control
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 96 01:04:35 -0500
From: "Fred G. Martin" <fredm@media.mit.edu>
      I'm not to familiar with the motor chips. Does the handyboard
allow for speed control of motors?

Yes, and speed control is built in to the Interactive C motor
function.  motor(0, 100) turns on motor 0 at full speed; motor(0, 50)
is half speed, etc.

While we're on the topic, I am considering changing the speed
argument, because in actuality there are only eight discrete power
levels from off to full on, so having the speed argument range from 0
to 8 might make more sense than 0 to 100.

do people have any comments on this?  the problem i see with 0 to 100
is that you don't know exactly where the power steps are, and this
could be a nuisance in some applications.  i think randy and i chose
100 as the top end of the speed range because it's a nice round
number, but i am thinking it would be better to expose rather than
hide the discrete nature of the speed control (i.e., the eight
discrete power levels).

any reaction?

        -fred