 Robotics / Handy Board / 181
RE: Motor control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 17:05:31 GMT

Well if you believe in encapsulation it should be 0 to 100.0 %, then the implementation
of the motor speed control could give its best effort in that regard. One of the things I
hope to do on my Handyboard is set it up to run two of my PIC motor controllers using
the servo out functions and they would be able to do 1% steps in power.

--Chuck

----------
From: Fred G. Martin[SMTP:fredm@media.mit.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 1996 10:04 PM
To: MAR ERICSON
Cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Motor control

I'm not to familiar with the motor chips. Does the handyboard
allow for speed control of motors?

Yes, and speed control is built in to the Interactive C motor
function.  motor(0, 100) turns on motor 0 at full speed; motor(0, 50)
is half speed, etc.

While we're on the topic, I am considering changing the speed
argument, because in actuality there are only eight discrete power
levels from off to full on, so having the speed argument range from 0
to 8 might make more sense than 0 to 100.

do people have any comments on this?  the problem i see with 0 to 100
is that you don't know exactly where the power steps are, and this
could be a nuisance in some applications.  i think randy and i chose
100 as the top end of the speed range because it's a nice round
number, but i am thinking it would be better to expose rather than
hide the discrete nature of the speed control (i.e., the eight
discrete power levels).

any reaction?

-fred