 Robotics / Handy Board / 1806
Re: Sonar Transducer Multiplexor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 09:35:52 GMT

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, MAR ERICSON wrote:

In your BMP circuit diagram that you posted recently, why did you use an
open collector to feed the base of the transistor?

The OC is simply a protective buffer to the SPI pins.  When the SPI
feeds a low with a pullup resistor it must be able to sink the current
drawn by the resistor.  I read some of the docs on the SPI pinouts and
("M68HC11 Reference Manual" Serial Port D Pins - pg 2-19) there is mention
that pullups are required.  Anyhow it may be overprotective.  BUT, better
safe than sorry.  Oh yeah, another reason was because I wasn't quite sure
when I drew it up for the 1st time whether or not the 5V supply would be
sufficient to driving the MOSFET to saturation.  I was thinking I might
need external power to the pullup higher than 5V - which I definately didn't
want going through the 6811.

Would it work if you connected the digital signal directly to the base?

I wasn't sure the signal would be powerful enough to saturate the MOSFETs.
In reading the application notes that International Rectifier supplies
in their data books, I discovered their suggestion to using the OC with pull-
ups when driving the MOSFETs via a TTL signal.  When in doubt read the appli-
cation notes.  They pay those engineers some serious cash for those notes.

-----------
ericson mar
Master of Engineering Candidate
Project: Mobile Robotics
mar@cooper.edu
(212)353-4356

Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

Adam B. Cox      check out my web page
Computer Engineer http://www.zenox.com/~adam
Zenox Communications Corp. vmail: 416-241-7000 (x224)