 Robotics / Handy Board / 1763
1762  |  1764
Subject:
Odometers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 23:34:58 GMT

Has anyone used odometers to make their bot drive in a straight line.
I am trying to do this and it seems like the delay in reading the
encoder values from 1 line to the next causes problems.  I have tried
taking two results after sleeping for 0.3 seconds subtracting
these 2 values and correcting accordingly but this still doesn't
work well.  Maybe the time isn't precise enough???
If anyone can share their experiences with this I would appreciate
it.

Here is a sample of the procedure I call to check the encoders and
try to correct accordingly.

Thanks,
Tom Hueske

/*globals are defined as:
RSPEED: Right motor peed
LSPEED: Left motor speed
SPEEDSTE =: 20
o_l_count: left odometer count
o_r_count: right odometer count

I call odomstraight  procedure in a loop and it should drive fairly
straight but it doesn't.
*/

void odomstraight()
{
  o_l_count = read_encoder(L_ODOM);
  o_r_count = read_encoder(R_ODOM);

  if (o_l_count > o_r_count)
  {
   RSPEED = RSPEED + SPEEDSTEP;
  }
  if (o_l_count < o_r_count)
  {
   RSPEED = RSPEED - SPEEDSTEP;
  }

/*This is to keep the motors from going over 1 step above starting
speed*/
      if ((RSPEED) > LSPEED)
{
  RSPEED = LSPEED+SPEEDSTEP;