 Robotics / Handy Board / 1648
Re: non-linear motor speed problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:51:37 GMT

On Tue, 11 Mar 97 09:22:35 -0500 "Fred G. Martin"
<fredm@media.mit.edu> wrote:

The test isn't fair under no-load conditions, because then the motor
just spins when you give it any signal.

The (small) load presented by the gears makes it behave
quite well with pure DC

Are you sure the performance is the same when you have a full
operating load? This would not make sense; I would guess that this
would mean that your normal load is well beneath the load capacity of
the motors.

Sadly, the servo motors have oodles of oomph (the correct
technical term for torque etc). My little bot is really a
micromouse in training and very light so the load is not
huge.

I have no skills for gearbox building and no money for
expensive gearmotors. Will I have to hang weights on it to
load the motors :)

My main puzzle is just why the DC (eg single NICAD cell at
1.25V) runs the motor more slowly than the HB PWM drive at
a nominal 14% of 6V or so.

Is this just a 'feature' of PWM?

Peter Harrison
Peter.Harrison@cannock.ac.uk