 Robotics / Handy Board / 1647
Re: non-linear motor speed problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:22:35 GMT

The test isn't fair under no-load conditions, because then the motor
just spins when you give it any signal.

Are you sure the performance is the same when you have a full
operating load? This would not make sense; I would guess that this
would mean that your normal load is well beneath the load capacity of
the motors.

-Fred

--
This message was composed using Articulate Systems' PowerSecretary,
a Macintosh-based speech-to-text dictation system.

In your message you said:
I am using servos converted to plain gearmotors as the
motive power for my baby bot. Finally I worked out how to
add shaft encoders to them. (Found a small opto switch to
poke through the inside of the case on the first gear).

The servos I am using turn out to have a _very_ non-linear
response to the speed set by the PWM routines. First, we
note that there are only 8 discrete speed settings (ignore
direction). Now, on speed setting one, I get nearly 50% of
maximum revs and an overall response that looks like speed
is proportional to the square root of the set speed. All
this is under no-load conditions. Even under normal load
the response is much the same. Driving the motors with good
old variable DC seems to produce the desired response.

So:   why do I get this motor response?
      what can I do about it?
      would the frequency of the PWM make a big difference?
      should I build an external speed controller?

I have no real low speed control and so can not get a PI
control working smoothly.

Many thanks

Pete

Peter Harrison