 Robotics / Handy Board / 1508
Re: Polaroid Sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:01:18 GMT

Sriram,

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Sriram Tirunellayi wrote:

  Recently got my OEM kit from Polaroid Corp. In the readme file which i
ftped from cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/contrib/ic_contrib/kent, it says
"for robust operation solder a 0.01uF cap to C7 of the ranging board."

I browsed through the schematic and component layout of the 6500 series
ranging module and couldn't find any refence to "C7." Have i looked over
somethig?

It is on the outer edge of the module neer the ribbon cable connector.
Its exact location is indicated by a circle with a + sign to indicate
the polarity.

Now to the soldering part.....the J1 on the ranging board has a 9pin
BURNDY connector, with a flexible cable that can be locked in. How do i
physically tap the INIT, V+, ECHO, BINH and GND pins from J1 to
corresponding pins on the handy board?

I simply (temporary) soldered to the connector at the end of the ribbon
cable (not on the PCB)  You see the ribbon cable goes into the module and
is then anchored by pushing down to fuse the connector.  The other end
has a female PCB mountable header which I soldered to temporarily.
The pins on the connector are staggered thus making it impossible to
use with a breadboard breadboard.  Just strip and solder some ribbon cable
from a PC I/O cable to the connector and then to some male headers.  EASY.

Should wires be soldered to the flexible cable & handy board OR are
there any special connectors that need to be bought.

I strongly suggest you DO NOT solder to the ribbon cable.  This could
destroy the cable.

help, suggestions & comments please

                          Thanks
                          Sriram