 Robotics / Handy Board / 1490
Re: expansion board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:47:39 GMT

I too have used a similar technique.  I used a 555 timer and a 567 tone
decoder instead of a PIC.  Using an IR can from Rat Shack, and five
ir-LED's I get a sensor that sees straight ahead, 30 degrees and 60 degrees
to each side.  Set the 555 for about 40kHz and the 567 for a center freq.
of about 200, although it doesn't really matter.  Feed the 567 freq. to the
reset on the 555, and you've got a perfectly matched, modulated 40khz
carrier for the IR detector.  The 555 output goes to the anode of all five
LED's.  Simply ground one of the LED's and you can sense in that direction.
Sequentialy turn each LED on and you can sweep through the sensor field of
vision.  Adjust the current to the LED's and you can adjust the range from
several feet to a few inches.  Could even used a different resitor for each
LED.  Longer range on the sides.

I have a PCB pattern for the sensor if anybody wants it.

FREE OF CHARGE

If it makes
it through 5 or 6 of these random on/off cycles, I count it as a
valid reflection detected.  I thought I would have to play with it a
lot to make it reliably detect its own transmissions and ignore
outside IR interference, but it works flawlessly so far.  It *always*
sees its own reflection, and has *never* falsely triggered.

I can vouch for this technique, this is basically what I do in my
PIC program (except the randomness which is a nice touch BTW) and
get rock solid detections. When the frequency is spot on to the
center frequency (38Khz for the 1ISU60's) and using 100 mA drive
current into a Radio Shack hi-output LED I can detect walls at
8 feet! Using 33mA I get a nice solid detection at 3 to 4' with
only flat black items getting down to < 1'. I use this system
on my Wild Cougar robot quite successfully.

--Chuck

later

matt

Matthew J. Harlan