 Robotics / Handy Board / 1421
1420  |  1422
Subject:
IC development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 23:18:23 GMT

exander A. Chaihorsky

Getting excited about new things and running away
from commitments. How MITesque!

OK, Uncle!

I apologize that, at times in the past year, IC development has taken a
back seat to our 32-bit C environment and vision system development.  We
realize that we have made a commitment to the community to come out with IC
3.1, and we do still intend to do so.

However, given the delays, I owe more of an explanation than I've just
given you.  It isn't in fact the case that we've just "gotten excited about
new things."  Rather, it's that we absolutely have to pay attention to our
higher-end product lines or our company won't survive.  We have three
people full time here, and our sales projections seem to indicate that IC
sales can't be our sole support.

But I don't want to make it sound like our company has decided to ignore IC
and 6811 development.  We do intend to release IC 3.1.  The Mac and UNIX
ports are already ready (the current beta versions are what we'll ship);
the Windows port isn't too far behind.  We had assumed, perhaps
incorrectly, that folks using Windows could survive with the beta problems,
or with the old freeware IC.  Given what I've heard here today, we'll
redouble our efforts.

-- Randy

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
Senior Design Engineer               Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/