 Robotics / Handy Board / 1420
Re: Expansion board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 23:11:04 GMT

Hi Everyone,

We (Digital Micro Systems) have an expansion board which we've been
beta-testing for a while, but have not released yet.  This seems like an
appropriate time to ask for any feedback regarding the design before
release.  Anyway, the feature set includes:
* 4 position DIP switch input
* 4 digital inputs
* 8 digital outputs (CMOS)
* 2 servos
* 16 analog inputs (4 high-impedance, buffered)
* 3x4 or 3x5 keypad decoder (or 5-8 digital inputs, and 3 digital outs)
* (2) 24 pin vertical expansion interface including the following
  signals: (Vcc, GND, MTRPWR, MTRGND, Y2&Y3 (or Y4&Y5), D0:D7, SS,
  SCK, MISO, MOSI, AS, analog(0), analog(1), MEMPWR, E (requires
  modification to HB), free pin.

The only drawback is the board is surface mount - so it won't be
available in kit form.  An image of the board can be found at:

http://www.dmsc.com/images/expbrd.jpg

In addition to the expansion board, we have also developed the a Dual
LMD18200 H-bridge motor driver board.  This board is a direct plug in
replacement for the TI SN754410 chips and increases power handling
capacity up to 12-55V @ 3A.  A simple ribbon cable with a 16-pin DIP
connector at either end connects this board to the Handy Board.  Current
feedback is possible (for torque measurements), and optionally plugs
directly into an analog input port on the Handy Board.  An image of the
board can be found at:

http://www.dmsc.com/images/hbridge.jpg

We also have another board which plugs into the expansion interface on
the expansion board (above).  This board allows control of two steppers
or four normal motors (36V@1A Max).  The board can be configured to use
the NiCad battery pack or an external battery by setting a jumper.  An
image of the board can be found at:
http://www.dmsc.com/images/stepper.jpg

To see what the whole system looks like altogether, see:
http://www.dmsc.com/images/system.jpg

We're also planning on introducing a servo card which can control up to
sixteen servos, and interfaces to the expansion header.  Finally, we are
working on an electronic compass which requires two analog inputs on the
Handy Board and should be able to (theoretically) resolve to better than
a degree.  In case anyone is wondering, it doesn't use the Vector 2X
compass. :-)

Feel free to check out our new (and as yet unannounced) web site at:
http://www.dmsc.com

It's not finished yet, so there may be hyperlinks which don't point to
anything.  We'd appreciate any feedback any of you might have to offer.
Thanks, and happy Handy Boarding!

- Prabal

Keith the wonder wookie wrote:
When is the release date for the expansion board or is it still up in the
air?  Thanks.

--
Prabal Dutta                               Tel:    (614) 299-2566
Digital Micro Systems, Corp.               FAX:    (614) 299-2939