 Robotics / Handy Board / 1394
Re: Motor Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 05:51:41 GMT

Geeze - sounds like my kind of luck.  Well, according to the Handy
Board FAQ, there are two varieties of the 293; the 239B and the 293D
- the "D" is rated at 600mA/channel and has spike suppression diodes
built in, while the "B" is rated at 1A/channel, but has no diodes.
The HB I got from Gleason Research has the TI SN754410 driver on it,
which gives you 1A/channel *and* the protective diodes.  The FAQ says
the TI chip is a plug-in replacement for the L293.  Maybe this would
help.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I left a email about my motor problem earlier this evening.  Well, since
then I have changed my code to use ports 2 and 3 and the bot worked just
fine for a little while, then both 293 chips smoked.  I guess I was drawing
too much current.  Anyway I am completely out of business right now.  I
believe that I saw a higher rated substitute mentioned on the mailing list.
Is there a motor driver chip that can take the amp draw.  I am guessing that
this is what happened.  If anyone has any other ideas please send me a line.
Do you think it hurt anything else when the 293's fried?  My board still
comes us just no motors or leds at all!
If you have any solutions for this problem please post them.  It is pretty
discouraging since I just got my code working.

Thanks

Bill Rose

                            -Bill Richman
                             bill_r@inetnebr.com