 Robotics / Handy Board / 139
138  |  140
Subject:
Higher current Motor Driver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 07:50:34 GMT

I saw someone asking about driving higher current motors with the handy
board. If you are able to give up two of the four motor outputs you can
drive each high current motor with two handy board motor outputs in
parallel. This way you can drive up to 1.2 Amps per motor. According to
the L293D specs you can do this. I can't say that I've tried. My
robot's legs are still in splints!

Of course you will have to issue two motor commands per motor to get
the full current capability. That is, unless you decide to take it upon
yourself to rewire the handy board. Also, I can't say what might happen
if you told half of the motor driver to go forward and the other half
to go backward (driving one motor).

Future handy boards should have jumpers to allow you to connect the
drivers in parallel if you don't need four outputs:)

If I'm wrong please don't hesitate to yell at me! Any corroboration as
to whether this will work will make me feel better though. If no one
wants to try it, I'll do it when I get the rest of my robot put
together.

Frank