 Robotics / Handy Board / 1359
Re: Is 18V correct?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:15:25 GMT

this is correct.  normal dc adapters are unregulated and there is a
reciprocal relation between voltage and current.  when you just plug
it in and and measure voltage, current is 0 and hence voltage is higher
than the spec.  if you draw the rated 500 mA of current you will see
the rated 12 volts.  if you drew more than 500 mA (note, this would
stress the adapter and cause it to fail prematurely), there would be
fewer than 12 volts.

-fred

In your message you said:
Oh, you hardware guys must really hate us software guys but...

I just purchased a volt meter, I had used on in college a long time ago,
so I placed the voltmeter across the AC adapter and it read 18.0, I'm
guessing this is 18 volts, but I could be mistaken I had the Volt meter
on 20V so I think it is correct but I would like some confermation on
it.

I bought the adapter from Gleason Research so I hope it should be
correct.

-Jim