 Robotics / Handy Board / 1320
RE: dual servo update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:33:51 GMT

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Chuck McManis wrote:

Mike writes :
I send my servos commands every 32.768 mS, and they work fine.  I don't
know what the limit is, but I don't think that 20 mS (50 Hz) is critical.

The limit is specified by the product manufacturer. Futaba servos don't guarantee
they will hold unless they see a pulse every 20mS. The Tower Hobbies servos
are a bit more lenient. If you have the servo manufacturers data sheet, just follow
whatever they say.

I use Futabas.  The 32.768 mS interval is convenient because the 68HC11's
16-bit timer on a 2 MHz clock overflows at that time, allowing easier
programming of the TOC functions.  Has anyone found the upper limit on the
time interval for Futaba servos before performance starts to degrade?
It's probably a little different for each servo, but I wonder just how
conservative Futaba was being when they specified 50 Hz.

* Michael L. Ross/C33 | Lockheed Martin Eng & Sci Svcs Co. ****
* Robotics Department | 2400 Nasa Rd. 1, Houston, TX 77058*****
* (281)333-7094; (281)333-6071 fax*    #include <disclaimer.h>*
* Finger me for my public key.  mross@outland.jsc.nasa.gov ****