 Robotics / Handy Board / 1273
Re: IR wall detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 08:27:54 GMT

At 6:12 AM +0000 1/16/97, Keith the wonder wookie wrote:
At 12:27 AM 1/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
Keith,

Try an LM567.  It's a tone decoder with PLL and VCO.  Basically set
the internal freq. of the 567 any where between .01 Hz up to I think 500
kHz.  Feed a signal into the 567 and if the freq's match up, the 567's
output goes low.  I've been messing around with using the 567's internal
occilator to modulate the 40 khz carrier from a 555.  tring to make a
single unit with simply two power connections and an output.

hope it helps

matt

I once tried using the internal freq of the 567 to drive the IR led.  I
figured that this would be the exact freq that the 567 was looking for and
therfor should work.  I was never able to get it to work right.  If you do
perfect this design let me know, I am very interested.

Keith

Keith

I think it works.  I managed to get a bread boarded version of the
IR sensor working.  A 555 provides a 40khz carrier.  The 555's reset pin is
directly tied to pin 5 of a 567.  The carrier is modulated by the internal
freq of the 567.  A sharp IR detector is sent to the 567 through a single
transistor amp stage.  It works from about 12" to 15" at various angles
from straight on to about 45°.  The 555 drives the IR led directly.  The
LED needs to be very directional,  I put a pen cap over the LED to test it.
Works pretty good.  Almost 18" with a white envelope.  almost 12" with my
hand.  I figure you could use one Sharp module and at least 5 LED's at
equal angles around the sensor.  One 555 for the carrier, and 5 different
567 all tied to the same module.  Use an analog switch the cycle through
the different modulation frequencies.  Maybe a '138 would do the job.  Then
you could get eight different angles.

I'll keep you posted as I work on it.

matt

Matthew J. Harlan