 Robotics / Handy Board / 1219
1218  |  1220
Subject:
Handyboard IR Sensor question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 05:49:46 GMT

Thanks for your last response.  Today we wrote and tested:
  Run motor 1 forward at half speed.
  Monitor the microswitch at digital port 7.
  If the switch closes (Hit the wall!) then
    Stop the motor
    BEEP
    Run motor 1 backwards full speed for 1 second.
    Shut down everything.

WORKED GREAT!!!

Now to the IR question...  From the HB docs and an IR_???.TXT file you
wrote and we captured, I get the impression that the IR sensor on HB is
designed to act similar to the sensor on a TV set, i.e., send/receive
coded, modulated signals for different functions.  True?
All we want is an IR transmission that when received back as an echo,
tells us of an impending collision.  (One straight ahead plus one 45
degree angle IR for wall hugging and avoidance.)  Can the HB IR be used
as our point forward collision detector?  We see cheapo (2/$1.00) optic
devices in the catalogs that look to be a small IR transmitter and
receiver in a small package.  Isn't this what we want?  I don't have my
"Mobile Robots" handy, but I'll look again for what it says about IR
parts/suppliers.
--
Richard T. Vannoy II                 richardv@abac.com
PO Box 103                         Computer Programmer