 Robotics / Handy Board / 1209
Re: I think I fried my board!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:19:44 GMT

Yes it is probably the inductor.  It acts as a fuse in many
situations.

You are lucky -- it could have been much worse.

-Fred

In your message you said:
I need help figuring out what I did to my handyboard.  I had it all
assembled, tested, and working when one of the battery leads touched one of
the solder spots on the board.  A small puff of smoke rose from the board
but I was able to disconnect the battery quickly.  The board functions fine
except for the following things;

-Motor drivers 0 and 2 don't work at all.
-The board works with power from the telephone cable but won't even turn on
using the battery alone.  Memory is restored when the battery is connected.

I think the inductor was where the smoke came from because it has a dark
brown color to it and I can't get a continuity reading through it.  I was
thinking about replacing the inductor to see if that was the problem but I
can't find a place to buy just the one part.  If anyone has any ideas on
what to do or if someone has an inductor that they could spare I would love
to hear from you.  Thanks.

Keith Soldavin
kas219@email.psu.edu