 Robotics / Handy Board / 1187
Re: Using RC cars for robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 03:38:52 GMT

At 04:22 PM 12/31/96 -0600, Scott Sherman wrote:

I would like to find out from those of you who have recently or are
presently using RC cars with their handy boards for robots.

1.  What type of vehicle did you use? etc.

We have successfully integrated a Traxxas RC car with the Handy Board.  The
vehicle uses a standard servo for steering and an electronic speed control
(same behavior as a servo.)  Since the HB can control 2 servos this works
well. In this case you would use the power supply that is equipped with the
RC car and need not worry about the current driving capacity of the HB. I
can get you the exact model but I just learned that it has been discontinued
from Tower Hobbies. You are safe if you choose a RC car with "standard"
servos.  These models run $200 or more and generally use car-like steering.
The Radio Shack models use integrated systems that are more difficult to
interface with the HB (but are cheaper.)
  I also have a student that has interfaced a Tyco Fast Trax(?) with a 6270
board.  The motors are driven directly by the L293 motor driver ICs and use
the 6v lead-acid cells.  Each motor draws about 1.5 amps under load and the
293's (piggy-backed) get hot but have held up.  I have warned the students
about stalling these motors.  As Randy S. mentioned, the Fast Trax is no
longer available.  (We plan to enter this model into the Trinity
fire-fighting competition in April.)
  I have been unsuccessful in locating a differential drive RC platform
(e.g. tank) in any toy stores within the Phila PA area.  They are simply not
available! (I have been avoiding all stores since November, but I will
resume the search soon.) I do not believe Tower Hobbies sells any tank
models as well.  (There is always LEGO - the 9v LEGO motors work well with
the HB.)  Good luck.
-Bob Avanzato, Penn State Abington-Ogontz