 Robotics / Handy Board / 1184
RE: Using RC cars for robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 23:41:00 GMT

1.  What type of vehicle did you use?

Chicago Models International "M1A1 Abrams" tank
Radio Shack "Wild Cougar" (Nikko America 'Shredder")
Radio Shack "Scorpion Tracks"

2.  How did you handle the steering servo with your handy board?

Conveniently :-) I pick only RC cars where I can drive them with differential
steering.

3.  How did you handle the driving motor with your handy board (did you
use the speed controller that came with it or did you do something
different and what)?

I've built separate H-bridges to control the motors (generally MOSFET bridges
but a couple of transistor ones too (which get hot)) I did it because the HB
doesn't have the current capacity to drive these motors.

4.  Did you use the 9V 1400mA battery pack and if so how did you connect it?

Not for motor power. In all cases the motors continue to be powered by the RC
car's integral battery pack. This has two effects:
1) It keeps noise off the HB power lines (I also opto isolate the H-bridges)
2) The HB can monitor the voltage of the motor battery and actually do
    something about it. (as opposed to detecting its own battery is low
    only to have itself shut down due to the reset/brownout circuit :-)

I would appreciate any of this information anyone can give me.  Thanks.

In general converting RC cars (and tanks) has three issues:
1) Powering the motors (you have to build an H-bridge)
2) Slowing them down (they are designed for 9 yr olds who
    think the faster they are the better they are.)
3) Securely attaching the electronics. (requires creative work with
    plastics)

--Chuck