 Robotics / Handy Board / 1153
Re: (Polaroid quandry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:47:13 GMT

Kind of in a jam...

Have heard conflicting advise (thaks again to everybody who bothered to
give it)...My design group wants to come to a decision about powering
our two Polaroid Ultrasonic tranducers....

* One set of opinions has advised that we can power our sonar off of the
HandyBoard's power supply.

Yes, you can use the +5v regulated power bus to power the ranging module. That's all the power you need for a Polaroid US system.

HandyBoard's power supply.

That's 2500 mA. (through the power lines of the renging module) At least that's what the specs say. Who knows really unless you measure it.

* We have also heard that because that sensors draw up to 500mA for a
brief period of time while their "pinging" we run the risk of resetting
the handyboard.

Never happened to me...
If you're really concerned, look up the specs of the LM??? Voltage Regulator that feeds the 5V bus of the HB. See if it can handle the 2.5 A surge for how long.
Don't worry about the NiCd's, they can handle the surge.

Can anyone give me more clarification?  Thanks again.

Another idea is to buy a 5V regulator that CAN ABSOLUTELY handle the 2.5A and connect it to the 9.6V NiCd pack.

Hope this clarifies.