 Robotics / Handy Board / 1135
1134  |  1136
Subject:
(senior design)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:25:09 GMT

My design team and I just recieved our Handy-Board. We plan on building
an autonomous mobile robot that will run a search program and
(hopefully) locate a 4" x 4" wooden(passive) block. The domain that it
will search in is approx. 15' x 15'. We plan on using a couple of
Polaroid ultrasonic transducers (for long range sensing), 2 to 3 IR
sensors (for short range detection), and 2 to 4 microswitches for the
bump sensors.
Were trying to get a mental handle on just how to accomplish this
project and have come up with a few questions.....

1. Can you read sensor' while your in the "move ahead" mode?
2. Will it appear to the outsider as a fluid motion or will the robot
move-stop-poll sensors-move-stop etc.?
3. Software guys kind of worried...wants to know approx. how much
memory it will take to run a program that directs a robot performing
this kind of search routine and incorporates the sensors previously
mentioned.

Thank in advance.
Jim Tegarden