 Robotics / Handy Board / 1129
Re: steppers - HB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:49:40 GMT

I haven't tried this on a handy board, I am using a miniboard, but I think
the process is similar:
not having a lot of time to figure out how to use dc motors with my
miniboard (my project deadline was coming up fast) I decided to use step
motors instead, they are pretty simple to use.  The miniboard interfaces
with two motor drivers through port B, 4 lines to each motor driver, each
can control two dc motors.  I just soldered a ribbin cable to the bottom of
my miniboard to the traces between the controller and one of the the motor
drivers (i just left the motor driver alone, that way I could still use the
led's to show me which motor was on and what direction it was going).  Then
I built a small circuit board with a couple of motorola MC3479 step motor
drivers on it, and connected the step motors to it. Controlling the motors
was even easier.  No special routines needed to be written, I just sent the
motor commands as if nothing had changed.  Only four forward and four
backward speeds are available, but I believe that with slight modifications
to the header file this could be fixed.

-patrick  :)