 Robotics / Handy Board / 1127
Re: Getting started
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 03:17:36 GMT

DRWho1595@aol.com wrote:

Hello to all,
    I am a senior in High school and I would like to get into robotics. I
bought "Mobile Robtics" and have read parts of it. Is the Handy Board a good
place to start? I would really like to get into some AI later. Does anyone
have any suggestions on what to do next? I have a good knowledge of
computers, a basic knowledge of electronics (I read Radio Shacks beginner
book.)  and I love to build things. I even tried to build the analog robot in
the Mobile Robotics book, but I haven't worked out all of the bugs.  I  would
eventually like to do some sort of   Sience fair project with robots and AI.
So if anyone can help I am all ears.
Thanks
Brian Burkhardt

I think that the Handy Board could be a good next step, depending on what you
want to do with it.  There are many similarities between the controller board
discussed in "Mobile Robotics" and the Handy Board.  Perhaps one of the more
important similarities is the Interactive C programming language, which is a
good language choice for experimenting and learning.

After reading most of the book, if you want to try some of the things mentioned
in this book, the HB would be a good continuation.  It depends somewhat on how
much of an investment you want to make also.  There are certainly more expensive
ways to go than HB, and also less expensive, including another Motorola 6811
controller the BOTBoard.  ( http://www.rdrop.com/users/marvin/ )
There are also some inexpensive PIC controllers.  Perhaps one of the best reasons
to choose the Handy Board is this mailing list and all the other great support
available on the net.

Cheers,
Alan