 Robotics / Handy Board / 1032
1031  |  1033
Subject:
Blown Board!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 05:26:03 GMT

Hello!

Boy do I feel silly!  I'm captain of a robotics team here at
Washington University and I ran into a problem tonight while
soldering up my board.

We've been building the board from the kit and all has been well
until now.  My assistant and I were at the step where you install the
74LS373 Latch.  He had been testing some voltages from the previous
step and told me we were ready to proceed with the next step.  So, I
proceeded to place the 1-8 bank of pins on the HB to line up the 9-16
bank properly.  After placing them in the holes I promptly removed
the part, realizing that _we had left the power on_!!!!

So now, when the board powers up, the BATT and POWER LED's do not
come on, but the CHARGE LED does.  As far as my 'scope tells me,
there is no power reaching Vdd on the HC11 along with many other
components, including no voltage on the U4 Vcc pin.  Moreover, the
parts that are receiving voltage are only getting about 3V instead of
5.

So, thats my story.  I'm a beginning EE student and I'm having
trouble locating the blown part(s).  If anyone has suggestions, I'd
appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

-Scott Simon