 Robotics / Handy Board / 1026
1025  |  1027
Subject:
infrared communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:20:47 GMT

Hello,

I'm trying to find information on how to implement infrared
communication between my PC and my RugWarrior (a 68HC11 board).

I want is to use the serial interface of the board (another port
would be fine btw), which is normally connected via a cable to my
PC. This is normally 9600 8N1, but i will be happy with just a few
bauds. I remember having read about ir communication between some
68HC11 boards and a host, but i can't find where anymore (after
just 3 days of Alta-Vista searches ...).  I remember GP1U52's being
used to set up bidirectional communication.  I found the following
links:  http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/robotics-faq/ and
http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/remote/IRremote.html Also a page
with information on how to produce plain remote control ir signals
to tv sets, cd players etc. I hope someone can point me in the
right direction. (I'm looking for a cheap solution which i can
build myself, otherwise i'd just buy a radio modem or whatever
pointed to by the robotics-faq)

Furthermore i'm experiencing problems with plain-cable communication.
I have tested the functions provided in the serialio.html faq, and
sending from my 68HC11 to the PC works fine. But from the PC to
the 68HC11 doesn't work, it looks like the disable_pcode_serial()
function doesn't work for the RugWarrior or i need some sort of
escape character? The 68HC11 keeps waiting for a character forever,
when i use the reset button i'm back in pcode mode. Is this perhaps
a difference between the HandyBoard and the RugWarrior?

I use code like this:
      int i;
      for (i=0; i<9; i++) {
        printf("%d", i);
        serial_putchar('A' + i);
        sleep(1.);
      }
this works nicely. I get characters on my terminal, but
      disable_pcode_serial();
      i = serial_getchar(0);
      printf("[%d]", i);
      sleep(5.);
      reenable_pcode_serial();
does nothing (keeps waiting) after sending characters from my terminal.

anyone?

regards,
  Hans

--