 Robotics / Education / 67
Re: Build a robot in an afternoon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:31:37 GMT

I did a little competition in 3 hours with my FLL team:

    Circle containing 5-7 cans (some light, some heavy, some thin+tall, some
fat+short)
    Robot starts in 8"x8" green box outside the circle.
    Robot must enter the circle and push as many cans out of the circle as
possible
    in 2 minutes.  Robot may leave the circle ONLY to turn around and return
to the circle.

I would think this is very doable with no previous prep if you:
    Provide a basic framework for the robot
    Provide a simple template for the program or provide adult programming
mentors for each
        team.

This is based on the Pitsco-Dacta "TEAM Challenge" curriculum.

-Peter
"Bob Turnbull" <rrturnbull@home.com> wrote in message
For a "Take Your Kids To Work Day", we are looking at providing an • afternoon
of Lego Mindstorms for Grade 9 students (age 14-15).  We should have about • 50
kids which we are looking to split into 5 groups. Within each group we • want to
have some kids working on a Web site and the rest on their robot (so we'll
have 5 separate kits).

We've got about 2.5 to 3 hours with the kids and are trying to think of • the
best way to at least capture their attention and give them some insight • into
what programming can do (we build software at my workplace)...After • providing
a template to them (something basic that can make a robot move forward and
maybe turn), we would let them try to alter it via both extra blocks and • extra
programming (providing them with some basic commands).

The robot concepts we've been toying with are Sumo bots, bots that run an
"obstacle course" and bots that follow a track. We'd hopefully finish up • with
some sort of contest.

Has anyone put together something like this before? Our main concern is • that we
just don't have much time with them in order to build something • interesting.
Any other  thoughts about the type of robots we can have them build and • how to
determine a winner at the end?

Thanks for any tips...