 Robotics / Education / 66
65  |  67
Subject:
Build a robot in an afternoon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 05:15:01 GMT

For a "Take Your Kids To Work Day", we are looking at providing an afternoon
of Lego Mindstorms for Grade 9 students (age 14-15).  We should have about 50
kids which we are looking to split into 5 groups. Within each group we want to
have some kids working on a Web site and the rest on their robot (so we'll
have 5 separate kits).

We've got about 2.5 to 3 hours with the kids and are trying to think of the
best way to at least capture their attention and give them some insight into
what programming can do (we build software at my workplace)...After providing
a template to them (something basic that can make a robot move forward and
maybe turn), we would let them try to alter it via both extra blocks and extra
programming (providing them with some basic commands).

The robot concepts we've been toying with are Sumo bots, bots that run an
"obstacle course" and bots that follow a track. We'd hopefully finish up with
some sort of contest.

Has anyone put together something like this before? Our main concern is that we
just don't have much time with them in order to build something interesting.
Any other  thoughts about the type of robots we can have them build and how to
determine a winner at the end?

Thanks for any tips...