 Robotics / Education / 29
Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:34:10 GMT

I'm a user, not engineer, but.. you might want to try this if you
haven't already. I had the same difficulty and went through all the
toubleshooting methods you have.

This is going to sound silly, but has worked for me: With the IR tower
on low setting and RCX brick quite close, facing it, I then shield any
overhead light. You can try it quickly by leaning over to shade the
transmission. If no, or only partial success, use a piece of heavy
dark paper to build a tunnel for the transmission.

I have generally had very poor results in transmitting with these IR
towers. It can be extremely frustrating. Even the above is not a sure
solution. Sometimes after unplugging everything, rebooting, and moving
the objects, just standing over it -- it'll suddenly work. other
times, I'll have done a complete process of elimination with brick,
batteries, tower, cables, system extentions, ports, and machines with
no success. it's quite mysterious.

oh, one conflict I found was related to Palm Pilot software. I have to
disable the serial checker that runs on startup.

good luck.

-Suz.

"Paul E. Rybski" wrote:

Hello,
        I'm teaching an RCX-based programming class using the Robolab
software to a group of 19 4th,5th and 6th graders.  I've been trying to
get the Robolab software installed and running on the Powermac 5500/225s
and 6400/200s owned by the school.  Every time I try to run Robolab and
download firmware or even just test the communication between the
transmitter and the brick, I get an error saying that the macintosh could
not communicate to the RCX and the graphical error display shows a red X
over the transmitter, the cable and the RCX.  However, I do see the little
green LED inside of the transmitter turning on. [...]
        Any advice, words of wisdom or troubleshooting suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

---
Paul E. Rybski --- http://www.cs.umn.edu/~rybski