 Robotics / 8432
Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:09:56 GMT

"Paul E. Rybski" wrote:

Every time I try to run Robolab anddownload firmware or even just test the
communication between the

transmitter and the brick, I get an error saying that the macintosh could
not communicate to the RCX and the graphical error display shows a red X
over the transmitter, the cable and the RCX.  However, I do see the little
green LED inside of the transmitter turning on. I have tried both the
modem and the printer port but have had no success.

The other possible cause
of the problem may be that the serial ports on these macintoshes are not
functioning properly.  Does anyone have any experience with these
particular macintosh models and the availablility (or lack thereof) of
signals on the DTR and CTS lines?

         I'm using the black macintosh serial cable that came
with the RCX.  I've also tried using a three-piece cable consisting of a
macintosh serial cable (hardware handshaking--what I use on my modem), a
DB9-DB25 adaptor and the RCX PC cable.  This hybrid cable has been
successfully tested on my G3 at least.

I had exactly the same problem with my 5400/180  (another all in one
machine).

I finally ran across a resource somewhere saying there was some difference in

the serial port of my machine, some of the clones (a Motorola spec board ??)
and
and some other Macs. I was able to run Robolab after I put together the same
cable
you described. Try that cable with the Macs at school.

I reported this problem and my solution to Pitsco/Dacta  last spring. If you
continue to have problems contact the techs at Pitsco/Dacta or send me an
e-mail.

Good Luck,

John