 Robotics / Education / 27
Re: Decision - Robolab 4 pak vs 4 RIS packages!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:46:42 GMT

If you are doing Robotics as a long-term project, go with one Team Challenge set
for every 3 or 4 students.  The ROBOLAB "Team Challenge" Set is the exact same set
as the RIS 1.0, except that it comes in a nice plastic green tub with good storage
on the inside instead of a gigantic cardboard box with flimsy plastic on the
inside as with the RIS.  The Team Challenge Set also has the advantage that it
comes with Mac AND PC cables for the IR tower, if you have any Macs in the room.
Of course, ROBOLAB is essential if you have any Macs anyway.  The new PITSCO
catalog isn't out yet, so you can only read about the Team Challenge set on-line
at http://www.pitsco-legodacta.com/.  The curriculum that comes with the Team
Challenge set will also be good if you are a newbie, as you say.

Its worth getting at least one amusement park set ($100) if you can, because the
models in the instruction books are really well done and fun to play with and
program as a first exercise for the students (bumper car, tilt-a-whirl, etc.)

By the way, don't make the mistake of only ordering the ROBOLAB CD-ROM and not
ordering the Teacher's Guide.  The Teacher's Guide is essential to understanding
how to use ROBOLAB.  People have made this mistake and then complained, and I've
asked PITSCO people to make it known on their e-commerce site that this is the
case... we'll see what happens!

The $1000 "Starter System" that you mentioned, that comes with 4 RCX's, etc. is
pretty darn cool too.  But if you are only interested in having the pieces and 4
instruction booklets for building the 4 models, you can get the "starter set"
separate from the "starter system" for only $307 (no RCX's, towers, software, or
guide included).

It depends greatly whether this is a one or two week unit you are doing or a
long-term project.  The sets that comes with building instructions (thematic like
amusement park or the starter set) are appropriate for smaller units of time, or
when the focus is on the programming instead of the mechanical design.

I agree with the other guy.  Don't waste your time buying a stand-alone robotic
arm.  Make one from LEGO!

There are lots of other things that you can do with the RCX besides robotics.
Check out pitsco's new E-LAB series (energy transformations, capacitors, lego
solar cells, etc.).  The E-LAB materials can be used alone, without a computer or
RCX, or they can be used with ROBOLAB 2.0 in January, which will have the ability
to do graphs of data, etc. [nobody better yell at me for that.  there was a
picture of a beta-copy of robolab2 in the old robolab pamphlet or something, and
it clearly showed a graph!] I'm not sure how pitsco will handle people upgrading
to 2.0 money-wise.  You might want to ask if you are placing your order soon.

As far as curriculum ideas go, I have posted several sites on curriculum ideas...
and other people like weird richard and janis and jenni have good sites too.

By the way... if you go through your local LEGO representative (pitsco can tell
you who they are) you can get free shipping, waived tax, and even get the
representative to come and give you a workshop (although i'm not positive if the
workshop is free).

-Ben Erwin

Steve Burmaster wrote:

I have an opportunity to purchase some additional sets for my classroon.
Currently I have one RIS with some additional sensors, motors, pneumatics, and
an extra RCX.
Please offer some advice on purchasing 4 complete RIS sets as compared to a
ROBOLAB educational pack with 4 RCX's, teacher/student resources etc.
I have not used ROBOLAB before!
As an alternative, I am considering purchasing one traditional robotic arm
(LAB-Volt Armdroid 1000) with teaching pendant, computer interface, software,
etc.
Any comments are appreciated.
P.S. I am a Robotic Newbie either way!