 Robotics / CyberMaster / 150
149  |  151
Subject:
Reviving old cybermasters with MacNQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.cybermaster
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:58:31 GMT

Hi all,

yes I know, this group has been dormant for quite a while - however when digging
through my older Mindstorms items last weekend, I also found two cybermaster
units and became curious if they were still operational.

The software is of course beyond any serious usability now - I do not even have
a Windows box left here. So I picked an old copy of MacNQC I had lying around -
only to find that there has not been an update to the same for years now. Is
anyone still working on that?

Anyway, hooking the thing up using the serial tower and an USB to serial adaptor
(I found that the Prolific 2303 adaptors you can buy dirt cheap everywhere is
just perfect for this) worked just fine, and what's more I even found that an -
albeit simple - program I wrote to test a spybotics brick worked without
modifications. I knew those things were compatible, but not _that_ compatible.

Also interesting: Wikipedia told me, you can only use the color coded touch
sensors on the cybermaster - not so. The RCX ones work just fine, at least if
you set the sensor mode to boolean (haven't tried a lot of other settings,
though).

Now, question is, does anyone still have a specs page listing the technical
details of the cybermaster? I am particularly interested in the storage/program
capacity before I consider what to actually do with the old bricks.

Also, I've found one of the built-in motors going slow. Is there any way to
disassemble and "grease" (or otherwise fix) them?

Thanks and regards,
Jerry