 Robotics / 9922
Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:27:56 GMT

From: "Luis Villa" <liv@duke.edu>
I hate to see this about a toy I've had so much fun with, but it isn't
likely that (esp. once you upgrade to pbForth or legOS) you'll feel
limited by software, even with the 32K limitation. The big limitation is
hardware. The sensors (esp.  once you try to do anything with any kind of
precision) are an unreliable mess, and the fact that you can only use
three of them makes it difficult to do anything of any serious
computational complexity.

This is 100% true.  When I first bought my RCX I bought two of them figuring
that I'd use them in a master/slave configuration to do useful stuff with
more then three sensors.  I haven't had much time in my life since then (got
married in august and have been busy at work since then), but this is still
my ultimate plan.

Debugging is also practically impossible- the
hoops my class has had to jump through to get sophisticated programs
running are just unbelievable. That said, you can still do cool things-
but they will take lots of patience, and lots of mechanical ingenuity.

Mechanical stuff is really what I play with Lego for.  I write software for
a living and don't really feel the need to do more of that when I get home.

Does pbForth allow for interactive debugging of any sort over the terminal
session?

alex