 Robotics / 9886
9885  |  9887
Subject:
NQC on Windows CE platforms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:37:25 GMT

I know I've alluded to this in a previous message, but now I'm ready to take
requests. A few months ago, I sucessfully ported full NQC functionality to
my Windows CE H/PC - an HP 660LX running CE 2.11 Pro. There are of course a
couple of gotchas: No support for the IR port and you will need a command
shell applet (CMD.EXE on my H/PC). I am using the standard Lego IR tower
connected to the H/PC via the serial port with a male-male (null modem)
adapter. I haven't entirely given up on trying to get the IR port to work,
but without writting a custom driver, I don't think this is possible.
Anyway, if there is anyone out there interested in NQCCE, currently based on
NQC 2.0.2, and is willing to live with these restrictions, please net me
know.

One of the delights of developing software for Windows CE (just a hobby) is
that there are so many platforms and OS versions to support. The only
version that I am capable of testing is WinCE 2.11 on an Hitachi SH3
processor (HP 600 series). Also, supporting WinCE 2.0 or 2.01 may be a
problem. The C-Runtime for those versions does not have file stream I/O
support. You might be able to use the v2.10 DLL if you are willing to
experiment and you have a command shell.  (I started write a substitue for
these functions about 9 months ago, but got busy and didn't finish it --
besides, I upgraded my H/PC to 2.11 Pro.)

So, here's what to do: Send me a message that you want a copy of NQCCE.
Include in the message which WinCE H/PC you have, the processor type (if you
know it) and the version of WinCE running on it. I'll send you a copy (ZIP
file via EMail) of the NQCCE kit (no sources or documentation) and some
installation instructions. I may have to build a custom version for you, but
will have no means to test it. This means that you will be the pioneer of
that version and you may have to install some additional system images. I am
assuming all of you will have the capability of downloading files to your
WinCE machine - I did not construct any type of Windows CE automated install
kit. All other info on using NQC should obtained from Dave Baum's site at:

http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/nqc/index.html

Please note, I do not have a website - I might be able to put some this
stuff on an FTP site if handling requests by mail gets to be too much.

/ted