 Robotics / 9864
RE: 2 Motors -> 1 axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 16:14:00 GMT

Tilman Sporkert wrote:

If the two motors are supplied with similar electrical power, and there is
any
real work to be done, then the two motors will not "fight" each other.
They will
each contribute their part to get the work done.
<snip>

As soon as you put a load onto the output, things
will
balance out. That's the beauty of electric motors. Can't do that easily with
combustion engines.
OK, enough people have replied along these lines that I have to assume
it's true. And the more I think about it, and about how electric motors
work, the more I'm convinced it must be true, even with all the internal
gearing and the flywheels in the mini-motors.

(That's why I love mailing lists: you're practically guaranteed to learn
something new, or at the very least to get a new perspective on things.)

A redesign of the 2 motor drive is in the works...and boy will it be
simple: one motor driving each end of a short axle with a big wheel in
between them. I think I'll photograph the current "nifty" differential
drive for posterity, though. It sure was fun building it :-)

One other question, having more to do with the RCX than anything else:
does it make a difference whether I run both motors from one output or
use 1 output for each motor? My guess is there's no difference, that any
current limiting in the RCX is systemwide, but there may be individual
current limiting on each output, I don't know. Does anybody know for sure?

BTW, thanks to everyone for their replies on this. For a lego newbie like
myself, this group is an amazing resource.

Dave Johnson
Still unbalanced