 Robotics / 9845
RE: 2 Motors -> 1 axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 23:56:28 GMT

If the two motors are supplied with similar electrical power, and there is any
real work to be done, then the two motors will not "fight" each other. They will
each contribute their part to get the work done. There is no need for any fancy
mechanical solution like a differential. If you aren't driving anything, and the
motors are just spinning a common axle, yes, then the faster motor will be
somewhat slowed down by the slower motor. But if  you aren't driving anything,
then that won't matter. As soon as you put a load onto the output, things will
balance out. That's the beauty of electric motors. Can't do that easily with
combustion engines.

Just compare it to an electric locomotive. Most electric locomotives, including
all diesel-electric road engines in the US, have separate electric motors on
each axle. They are very tightly coupled through the wheels and the rails. In
addition, multiple engines of different types can be lashed up together -
forward, backward, 1950's model with 1999 model, 4 axle, 6 axle, 1500 HP and
6000 HP. Some motors will be cut out (isolated) because they are fried. Now you
have a complete random mix of motors, all mechanically connected tightly so that
they can only spin at the same speed. In North America, the control cable
between the engines pretty much puts each engine into the same run mode. There
are only eight basic settings. They control the power setting of the
diesel/generator combination. "Run 8" is full power. A motor in a 6000 HP engine
at run 8 is certaily a lot different than a motor in an older 1500 HP engine at
run 8. Yet, when the engineer opens the throttle, they all pull the train
together. No fighting going on.

Back to the Lego World, as others have pointed out already, the 24T gear is not
a very good gear for high-load applications. It takes a lot of care and precise
adjustments to get it to not jump under load.

Tilman