 Robotics / 9834
RE: Motor output multiplexing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 20:52:03 GMT

I have built two prototypes of an output demux.  I take the three outputs
as BCD, run each through a diode bridge, filter cap, and current limiting
resistor to tickle the base of an NPN transistor.  Use the output of the
three transistors to drive a 74HCT138 demux.  Use the 8 TTL sinking outputs
(20 mA) to drive whatever you want.  I've driven bigger transistors, and
also some nifty Aromat relays.

There are some real limitations.....You give up directional control, or you
have to use two outputs.  Ditto speed control.  Only one demuxed output can
be on at a time.  One will always be on.

That said, there are some real advantages.  You can (actually you have to)
use an external power source for the motors.  You can drive bigger loads
like solenoid valves.

I fit mine into a RCX battery case, with it's own 9 volt battery, so the
demux box has 8 outputs, and 9 vdc raw, and 5 vdc regulated.  Frankly, I
don't use it much, but it was a fun project.

I can send the schematic as a bitmap, .dxf, or Autocad drawing if anyone is
interested.  It's an easy project.

Jeff
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net