 Robotics / 9833
RE: Robotics help laserscanning of 3D environment.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 20:13:00 GMT

As stated it is not directly Lego related. (I'm using a PC104 platform; I
just remembered the Laser discussion earlier.) I prototype In Lego. Just
wondering since people on this maillist are from very diverse backgrounds.
This seemed as a good a list to ask as any other one.

I've definitley seen more Off-topic posts than this one...
(How old were you?... ;-)

Hajo

All the professional ones use essentially the same concept.  Laser
interferiometry to determine distance, and some kind of
computer controlled
most to increment the laser head.  A series of points are the
raw data.
Filtering is necessary (there are false points).  Building a
CAD model from
the data is not trivial, but it depends on what you are using it for.

Hard to see how it relates to LEGO robots, though.  These are
expensive.  I
would love to have any kind of precision distance sensor for
the RCX, but as
these are large data sets, it just doesn't seem practical right now.

--Jack Gregory