 Robotics / 9761
Re: Balancing Bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:23:29 GMT

Jacob Schultz wrote:

It's an inverted pendulum - right?
Yep.

Our best
solution was a Fuzzy-PD controller. The differential angle part is
necessary or else you'll problably never make it stable.
Hmm, this may be out of the question with the RCX and Lego. I'm not
getting direct angle readings either, just changes in one direction or
the other, and right now I'm ignoring the magnitudes, except to add a
little hysteresis.

How did you construct the angle sensor? It must be pretty accurate - a
standard LEGO rotation sensor is out of the question - the scale is to
coarse.
It's a potentiometer-based sensor, very much like the one at:

http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/pot.htm

I also geared it up 5:2 to increase its sensitivity. Seems to work well,
I don't know what the resolution is, but I believe it's better than 1
degree.

Dave Johnson