 Robotics / 976
Re: Barcode reader (Was: RE: legOS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 03:59:29 GMT

Heinz Czychun wrote:

I just got LEGO's shop at home and found package #8479 Barcode Multi-Set,
(it's marked hard to find) that includes "Code Pilot" to scan bar codes. Is
this what Iain meant?

Nah, the code pilot is something else. It's a largely lame earlier
programmable brick that uses barcodes as the programming medium. But
it's not programmable enough to use the barcodes for anything else, I
think.

It does have one interesting related part, which is a little white
wheeliedo which allows the built in barcode reader (a lot like the light
sensor but integrated into the case) to operate like a
direction-insensitive rotation encoder (it sort of optically "clicks"
because of the way it's notched, if you see what I mean).

Or Stephen are you interested in rolling your own as an exercise ?

Stephen is presently very busy in his copious spare time(tm) trying to
provide y'all with a better programming language.... :-)

stephen