 Robotics / 9722
Re: On the subject of gluing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:12:02 GMT

MEK (or any other solvent for that matter) should stand up to soapy
water.  Solvents actually dissolve the plastic slightly, then the plastic
re-solidifies after the solvent evaporates.  In the end you don't have a
'glue' bond - you just have one piece of plastic.  Of course the joined
plastic is rarely as structurally sound as an originally molded piece of
plastic.

I don't know what plastic MegaBlocks uses, but I don't think its ABS.
However, there are solvents for just about any type of plastic.  In fact,
MEK works on tons of stuff other than ABS, so it may do the trick anyway.

CA based glues would also be worth a try.  The bond is waterproof (just
ask anyone who has crazy glued their fingers together).

Dave Baum

In article <Fntqp5.8M1@lugnet.com>, "David M." <ElectroTX@webtv.net> wrote:

Hi people,

I need to know which of the glues recommended will stand up to a soap bath.
I'm planning on making a deep, narrow and long container out of Legos
(probably Mega-Bloks since they'll be glued) that will hold bubble making
formula. I can't let it leak thru the cracks or edges of the blocks. And it
needs to stand up to being filled with the soap stuff.

Any help?

--Electro--

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com