 Robotics / 9662
Re: Installing LegOS tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 03:16:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Rossz Vamos-Wentworth" <rossw@jps.net> writes:
I've been investigating the use of LegOS as an alternate
development platform and have come to the conclusion that as-is,
it is too difficult to install and configure for the average person.
Professionally, I am a software deployment expert on the MS
Windows systems.  That means I write installation and
configuration software.

I think it would be a worthing project to create a simple-to-install
package of the various components for LegOS.  That would mean a
version of the cross compiler and assembler that does not require
the Unix-emulation front end and whatever tools available that are
tailored to the Windows environment.  I would be happy to write an
installer for this using InstallShield (I have several versions at my
disposal).

Obviously, we would need to use open-source versions of
everything needed since we would not wish to violate any copyright
laws.  We we also need permission from the LegOS author to
include his package with everything else.  I envision an installation
package which simply asks for the destination to install to, then
drops all the files onto the drive and configures the system as
required.

Is anyone interested in this project?  Does anyone know where I
can get a version of the cross-compiler and cross-assembler that
works from the DOS command line (without Cygnus)?

I would definitely love such an installation package too. I think that will
really help users without high-level computer systems background to start
experimenting with LegOS. Unfortunately I cannot help you but will surely wait
until you get it up and running!