 Robotics / 9610
Re: RIS 1.0 vs 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 09:34:14 GMT

By all means, get the upgrade. Even if you never touch the software, the
extra pieces (including the coveted, oft-referenced clutch gear--the white
thing) are very much worth having. You'll also have two versions of the test
mat, and two Constructopedias.

The RCX doesn't change between versions, nor does its firmware.

The Lego software is improved in 1.5--now features copy-and-paste, and
supports more pixels on the screen. You may not be using it, but it is quite
flexible and quick for simple tasks. I haven't yet mastered NQC (though I'm
working on it), so still do quite a few things with RCX Code.

You'll have the advantage of two versions of the Constructopedia--so you get
to choose which methodology you prefer. Version 1.0 has more of a "push in
the right direction" approach, 1.5 submitted to the appeals of the masses
and includes complete building instructions for most of the robots to meet
the challenges. Although I disagree with this approach to a certain extent,
the 1.5 Constructopedia does have good and useful content for what have
become known as Technic {dang--I can't think of the word--it's a synonym of
_tritisms_--I told the kids they could stay up all night, so this is an
experiment in sleep deprivation}--building techniques, combinations of
components, how to use the differential, etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more detail on anything.

--The WordMeister

Doug Wilcox
WordSmith Digital Document Services
403 VFW Drive
Rockland, MA 02370
781-871-6162
fax 781-871-6264
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
• Searchable Digital Documents on CD
• Web Design (including e-commerce) • Scanning
• Desktop Publishing • Graphics Design
• Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
• Computer Demons Exorcised
• Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class