 Robotics / 9597
9596  |  9598
Subject:
At last, RC servos are a go!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:35:56 GMT

I have finally cracked the RC servo/RCX connection.

A fairly simpe PIC based device built into one of the larger
battery housings. The one that comes with 8735.

I hollowed out the on/off switch compartment and installed
the tiny circuit. It still uses the red connector to connect to
the RCX. The two square holes, where the switches used to
be are each occupied by three sets of servo connectors, so
it can drive a total of six servos.

The motor output from the RCX is decoded as a serial
data stream. There are 14 possible codes, 7 on each
wire from the RCX. In my case I have the PIC programmed
to set a selected servo left or right of center for power settings
0 - 5 and set it to center on power 7. Reverse or forward
controls which side of center is desired.

There are of course numerous other operational modes
which could be programmed into the PIC, but the one I
have chosen for now has a very specific purpose.

I can now use the RCX to control the pneumatic parts!!

Each servo drives a lego style valve. Actually, the servo
arm is attached to the valve body, the center of rotation
being set to the location of the dimple. The valve "lever"
is held still in a technic beam hole. Since the pneumatic
tubes are flexible, this doesn't matter.

I am in the process of converting the schematics to jpg
format. If anybody out there is interested, let me know
and I'll try and email you the info.

I'll be back in touch sometime in the next 1000 years :)

JB