 Robotics / 9577
Re: USB->Serial converters and IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Peter Vogel writes:
Hi!

Anyone else tried connecting to the IR tower via a USB -> Serial converter?

I've been trying with an Entrega U1S9 (USB->9 pin serial)  because my
primary
robotics machine is a Sony Vaio laptop and I HATE having to hook up the port
expander just to connect the IR tower, I'd like to just plug the tower into
the
USB port (via the converter, permanently hooked up to the IR tower).  The
green light comes on when I test communications, but both Robolab and
the RIS software complain of garbled communications.  I'll try NQC next
(I've
been resisting NQC because my intent is to use the RIS at my daughter's
elementary school (possibly sponsoring and coaching an FLL team) and I
don't want to think in NQC, but rather in Robolab (easier since I used to
work
for National Instruments).

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.  (Yes, the com port from the
USB->Serial is within the supported range (COM1, actually, I modified the
BIOS to toss the builtin (but accessible only via the port expander) COM
port up to COM4).
Yes, I have had allmost exactly the same combination working fine. I have the
'combi' USB box (serial/parallel port), and the smallest VAIO, and used this
to take some software up to my niece over christmas, with no problems. There
are some 'differences' about the serial port, and I found I had to use the
very latest drivers from Entrega (the ones supplied gave errors). I didn't
'relocate' the default port, but manually set the port number in the Robolab
settings.

Best Wishes