 Robotics / 9522
RE: best tape to mark a line on the floor to follow?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:22:26 GMT

If you're worried about removing the Electrical tape, why don't you put down
a strip of masking tape, then put the electrical tape over the top of it.
Personally, I've never had any problems removing electrical tape from
things.  I seem to use it as much as many people use duct tape.  The cheap
electrical tape will sometimes leave black adhesive lines.  Just get better
quality electrical tape.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Jackson [mailto:ben@ben.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 1999 2:58 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: best tape to mark a line on the floor to follow?

I've been looking for some kind of tape I can apply to my kitchen floor to
mark
paths for a robot to follow.  Electrical tape has ideal reflective
properties,
but I don't want to put it down because it can be hard to get back up.  I
tried
plain masking tape but the light sensor cannot differentiate it from the
floor
*at all*.

So far the best thing I've found is some blue 1" Scotch masking tape
(Long-Mask[tm] Masking Tape #2090).  This works well enough to experiment
with,
but the delta between the bare floor and the tape is only 25-40 (of 1024,
readin the sensor as RAW).  Has anyone else found a better solution?

On a slightly related note, what's the best way to get a second light
sensor?
Is there a good set which includes one, or should I order the plain part
from
Pitsco?

--Ben