 Robotics / 9497
Re: Six Shooter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:56:29 GMT

Harri 'Junkarn' Manni wrote:

Please mail me if you have made something similliar.

How similar is similar enough?

I built a self-loading catapult that was powered by cocking the arm
against two #64 rubber bands. At its best it could fire the projectile 8
feet before first contact with the ground, with a total distance of
about 15-17 feet on an unobstructed hard floor. (Distances measured from
the point where the missile separates from the catapult arm; I used
yellow rims on length 3 axles, mainly because my loader could deliver
those reliably one at a time to the catapult arm). However the force of
the rubber bands was too much and the catapult had difficulty staying in
one piece over several successive rounds of firing; lessening the
tension led to dissappointing distances (3-4 feet). I should also note
that I ruined one 8-tooth gear during experimentation by subjecting it
to excessive force, and the base of the catapult arm required 5 axles to
avoid twisting the axle out of shape when the arm was loaded. I
dismantled it after giving up on that design; I only kept the loader
because it was about all that worked reliably :-(

Others have build working and reliable catapults driven directly by two
motors which could fire projectiles 5 feet before first contact with the
ground, but I can no longer find their WWW sites.

alex