 Robotics / 9496
    Design Question - For a newbie —Jeff Buckey
   I have an idea for a robot, but I'm not sure how to get it to work with the minimal resources that come in the Robotics Discovery Set. Sorry if these questions seem trivial, I'm new to this list and to Lego Robotics. I would like to make a bot that (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Design Question - For a newbie —Phil Watt
     One way to have the Scout drive and shoot would be to use one motor to drive forward and turn in reverse, then use the second motor to fire the "bullet". The R2D2 of the DDK uses this drive forward - turn in reverse with the one motor that the (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Design Question - For a newbie —Alex Nicolaou
     (...) (URL) shows how to build this assembly, which was what I was going to suggest. It only works if your droid is a three-wheeler, with this wheel as the nose wheel, but is very effective at maximizing the DDK's single motor. It's possible to do (...) (24 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Design Question - For a newbie —Joe Murano
     Jeff Buckey wrote: [edited] [...] (...) [...] (...) [...] (...) Why use a motor to launch the bullet? If you make the bumper trigger the gun, in addition to the touch sensor, that leaves both motors free (to drive) and satisfies your design goals. (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Design Question - For a newbie —Ben Jackson
     (...) I'd do what was already suggested -- make a robot that drives straight forward but turns in reverse (or perhaps for your purposes you'd drive *forward* in a circle and back straight up!). You could also use the standard two wheel/two motor (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Design Question - For a newbie —Ian Warfield
   (...) Eh? :) (...) I agree with the second post: Have the collision trigger both the touch sensor and the firing mechanism. This leaves both motors free to drive. Using the differential will work fine (although I'm not sure if it comes in the RDS or (...) (24 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Design Question - For a newbie —Peter Vogel
   (...) and (...) sensor (...) Except that you need a motor to trigger the firing pin, unless you do some sort of mechanical linkage which would make the front bumper a trigger... The L3GO from the DDK has a single-motor driving the left front wheel, (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Design Question - For a newbie —Ian Warfield
   (...) You might be able to do just that and link the bumper directly to the firing pin. Once that is put together and working, position the touch sensor on the firing mechanism so that it is always depressed. When the gun goes off, the touch sensor (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)