 Robotics / 9486
Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:47:59 GMT

I think what you want to do can be accomplished in a method similar to many
bump sensor constructs. I'd use an angle beam (one of those lovely "finger"
pieces), the base of which pushes against the touch sensor, with an elastic
to keep the "switch" either normally open or normally closed . The other end
would be set so that the train just brushes against it, moving it a small
amount. You can get quite a wide degree of sensitivity by tweaking the
trigger arm placement and tightness of the spring (rubber band/elastic).
This should move easily enough that the train does not derail. You probably
should mount the mechanism on a platform attached to the track (elevating
the track slightly), to prevent the mechanism from moving.

Let me know if you want a diagram. Sometimes these concepts can be difficult
to put into words.

--Doug Wilcox

WordSmith Digital Document Services
403 VFW Drive
Rockland, MA 02370

781-871-6162
fax 781-871-6264
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783

- Web design (including e-commerce)
- Searchable Digital Documents on CD
- Desktop Publishing - Design - Scanning
- Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
- Computer Demons Exorcised
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class